Floating Post office
Floating post office is one the finest and most innovative structure of India: Inaugurated on 22 august 2011, by Omar Abdullah (minister of state for communications and IT and chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir). At present it has been the major attraction center for tourists. It is situated at Dal Lake, Srinagar. Besides providing services, selling postage stamps, and displaying the collection of postage stamps in their museum along with other saleable products will attract the tourist visiting the post office.
It is recorded that there are 1693 postal departments of post offices all over Jammu and Kashmir.
White marble architecture located at the south bank of Yamuna River of Agra was completed in the year 1653 by Shah Jahan (Mughal emperor) in memory of his favorite wife Mumtaz. Taj Mahal is also known as Mumtaz Mahal, named after the late Persian princess who died giving birth to their 14th child. Taj Mahal was enlisted as UNESCO World Heritage site during 1983. It is also regarded as most precious Jewel of muslim art that is admired universally.
Some facts of Taj mahal :
- Time taken to build Taj mahal – 22 years.
- Cost for construction – 32 crore.
- Marbles used in building Taj Mahal were brought from various Regions & countries as: China, Punjab, Rajasthan Arabia, Afghanistan, and Srilanka.
- Walls of the monument is encrypted with 99 names of Allah.
- Closed on Friday.
- Cost :
- Rs,750 ( Foreign Tourist )
- Rs,510 (SAARC citizens and BIMSTEC Countries)
- Rs,20 (Local tourist of India)
- Children below 15 years need no entry fee.
Enlisted in UNESCO world heritage site, the tallest monument of Brick in the world is situated in Mehrauli, Delhi. Qutub Minar is 5 storey tower, 237.8 feet tall with a diameter of 47 feet within which is 379 steps staircase to reach the top built in circular shape. Minar is built with marbles and red sandstone and also surrounded by various Historical monuments as iron pillar of Delhi, Tomb of imam Zamin, Quwwat-ul-islam Mosque etc.
- Opened from 7 Am -5 Pm every day.
- Minar is marked as the site of first muslim kingdom in North india.
- This monument is inspired from brick victory pillars, Ghazni (Afghanistan).
- During 1326 and 1368 Qutub minar was damanged twice due to lightening.
- Qutub Minar Festival falls during October/ November. During the festival, minar is decorated with lights and the beauty of the monument is enhanced.
- It is recommended to visit the Qutub minar first, as the complex is surrounded by lots of mosque pillar and historical monuments. Best time to visit is during the weeks, as during weekends crowd is very high.
Jaipur, Rajasthan – a state of India has a town named Amer where lies the beautiful Monument Amer fort. It is also, known as Amer Palace. An artistic palace popular for the architecture and historical aspect that was built in Hindu style, was the residence of Rajput’s Maharajas and their families. Sandstones and marbles were used to build the fort. Amer is 11 km from Rajasthan and the town has an area of 4 sq.km. Initially, the palace was ruled by Meena’s, later Raja Man Singh was ruled the place from December 21, 1550 till July 6, 1614. Entrance to the fort is from the Suraj Pol (Narrow sun gate) with the help of Elephants.
Historical principles engraved within the walls of the fort is the major attraction of the fort. Cultural backgrounds of Rajput’s and historical fact can be observed at the palace in the form of artworks, paintings etc.
Maota Lake is the main source of water to the palace.
- Built in 1592 by Man Singh
- Opening hours 8 am- 5:30 pm
- Best way to travel amer fort is taking elephant rides.
- Raja Jai Singh improved the design of the palace during his resign.
- Palace is divided in four levels with courtyard of each. Diwan-e-aam (hall of Public audience), diwan-e-khas(hall of private audience), sheesh mahal(Mirror palace) and Sukh niwas where the cool winds build artificially pours the water within palace.
The Red Fort (lal Killa)
Built during 1648, lal killa (the red fort) was residence of Mughal emperor for nearly 200 years. It is located in the bank of Yamuna River, Hug walls were built around the fort for preserving the fort from external factors. It is the house of various museums located at the center of Delhi. Emperor Shah Jahan, with the thought of transferring his capital from Agra to Delhi started building Lal Killa. Since, the king was fond of Red and white colors, the fort was constructed accordingly.
Design of the fort was done by Ustad Ahmad lahauri.
- Originally, Named as Qila-e-Mubarak.
- Area of Red Fort – 254.67 acres of land.
- Declared as world heritage site in 2007.
- Total time spend to construct the monument: 10 years.
- Major structures inside the fort : Chawari Bazar, lahori gate, Delhi Gate, Water Gate, Chhatta Chowk, Naubat Khana, Nahr-I Behisht, Mumtaz Mahal, Diwan-i-khas, Hira mahal, Moti Masjid etc.
Gateway of India
Monument built during 20th century in Mumbai, western India. Construction of the architect was started during 1911 and completed at 1924. Height of the construction is 85 ft. with a diameter of 49 ft. Total cost for the construction was 2.1 million. George wittet designed the architecture of gateway of India. Yellow basalt and concrete were used for the construction of the gateway of India.
Though, the place was built to welcome King George V for his visit to India during 1911, later the place was used even during the arrival of the governors and representatives during their visit. It has faced 3 terror attack from 2003 to 2008. After 2008, Public movements were restricted within certain areas of the place.